Kanga Pairs
· improving language skills naturally ·


Your Subtitle text


Information for host families and au pairs

An au pair is a young foreign person who lives as part of a host family for a limited period of time and receives pocket money for helping to look after the children and to help with light housework.  They will usually eat meals with the family and join in many of the family activities.  Au pairs spend time in another country to gain a new cultural experience and to improve language skills.

The au pair’s main duty is to look after the children and to help with light housework.  In return, the family offers the au pair free board and their own bedroom in their home and some  pocket money.  The au pair is also able to improve their language skills by attending a language course if they wish to do so.

The host family should have at least one child living with them under 18 years old. 

Kanga Au Pairs in Spain or UK:

      • Help the family for 25 hours per week which can include one evening of babysitting per week;
      • Have 2 days off per week (including one day at the weekend);
      • Receive £60 pocket money per week from the host family;
      • Receive one week’s paid holiday per 6 months for longer stays.
      • If wished by both parties, alternative hours can be agreed in advance and both parties should sign a simple agreement to this effect.


The host family and the au pair should clarify in advance what is expected from the arrangement. There is no need to have a formal contract drawn up but some families may prefer to do this.  


The au pair should take out their own travel insurance before travelling.

An au pair from Spain or UK can apply for a European Health Insurance Card or EHIC (formerly the E111 form) which permits the holder to access necessary healthcare in the public system of any EU member state if they become ill or injured while on a temporary stay in that country.  This does not cover the cost of treatment in a private clinic.  The EHIC card is free and is valid for 2 years.

Driving and driving licence

If it is expected that the au pair should drive, then liability and insurance should be clarified - and whether the au pair’s driving licence is valid in your country - before the au pair arrives.